Some quick thoughts on ransomware as a tractable problem.
- Create a superfund to hire ransomware developers and support staff. Pay them to do something productive, or at least non criminal.
- The only people with power over ransomware gangs are the protectors providing the safe havens they reside in. If you cannot make North Korea, China, Russia or even Ukraine, cooperate then there’s no way to eradicate them
- Ransomware is a billion dollar industry with a few major players reaping the rewards. The ransomware10, R10 gangs are pulling in tens, or hundreds, of millions.
- Those millions pay for “protection”
- The money is mostly spent inside the safe haven.
- Ransomware is a problem for the West. This is a strategic alignment with Russian (and Chinese) interests.